Tuesday, July 17. 10 am: “Come to Defend Our Community From the Real Estate Sharks at the HANO Board Meeting”
10:30 am Speak Out at Board Meeting
4100 Touro Street
Thursday, July 19. 7pm: “Iberville Town Hall Meeting”
St Jude Hall, 410 Basin Street
C3/Hands off Iberville
Let the People Speak!
The C3/Hands Off Iberville PLAN:
- The people united can beat Kabacoff and company’s plan to demolish, displace, and raise rents for all working class people!
- C3/Hands Off Iberville says NO WAY to demolition and gentrification.
- We demand that ALL the public housing units at Iberville be rebuilt. Furthermore, we demand the federal government create a new mass , direct-government employment public works program, at good union wages, to rebuild housing, schools, hospitals and everything else the people need. JOBS
July 25: President Obama To Visit New Orleans
Obama is coming to New Orleans for the 2012 National Urban League Conference, which will include a Reception For the Obama Victory Fund (OVF) at the House of Blues.
For three and a half days the National Urban League will be presenting Occupy the Vote: Employment & Education Empower the Nation, the clarion call for all conference participants to be informed and deeply engaged in the various elements of economic empowerment.
To buy a ticket to the House of Blues Reception, visit https://donate.barackobama.com/page/contribute/o2012-NewOrleansJuly25Reception and note the message “Please join President Obama for a reception with supporters like you in New Orleans” and well as the ticket prices ranging from 100 to 5,000 dollars.
This is obviously not an event for the 99% despite the co-opting of the "Occupy" name.
This conference is sponsored by Shell Oil.
Russell, who has been involved as an organizer with Occupy Wall Street since last fall, is embarking on a video project, touring the United States and interviewing activists, people participating in direct actions, and people working create a dual power model. She and another Occupy organizer, Amelia will visit New Orleans and Occupy The Stage will host them. They are interested in how Occupy has developed in New Orleans and what local issues Occupy NOLA has been fighting. Check the following link to view a call to action video Kathleen edited for Organizing for Occupation http://www.o4onyc.org/
Both Amelia and Kathleen are active in New York's O4P foreclosure auction blockades. O4O is a radical housing rights group that does eviction defense, moves people into empty homes, and organizes foreclosure auction blockades, which are what this video is promoting. O4O is not an OWS working group, but a lot of occupiers are involved. Here's the video: http://hockymickle.tumblr.com/post/21213946162/i-edited-this-call-to-action-video-for-the-amazing
Doors open at 9 & show starts at 10. Bands TBA!
Unitarian Universalist Church 5212 S. Claiborne
- Elizabeth Cook: Committee to Stop Oil Disaster
- Mike Russell: Socialist Alternative
- Andy Washington: Civil Rights Activist
- W.C. Johnson: United Front of New Orleans
- Mike Howells: Occupy NOLA
- And others.
For more info call 587-0080