This Revolution Will Be Televised (in the streets)!
The First Few Days!
We're still working out the technical aspect, but right now, we can project videos and slide shows onto walls by placing a projector, car battery, and inverter in the basket on the back of a large tricycle.
My car is so old, it doesn't have a working cigarette lighter socket, and logistically it seems easier to use the tricycle so we don't have to worry about finding a parking place AND a decent wall to project on.
To figure out how to supply power to the projector while using a tricycle, we used the Projection Bombing tip sheet from Instructables and the great tip sheet from The Illuminator website.
What we used:
- Trike with basket
- Optoma Projector
- MacBook with special adapter cord to connect to projector
- 750 w Power Inverter (where you plug the projector cord in)
- Car Battery (connects to inverter)
- 1 Amp Slow Charger Battery Charger (charges battery from electrical outlet)
- Plywood cut to size of trike basket
- Zipties and bungee cords to secure battery to basket
- Videos supporting Free Anons on YouTube
- PowerPoint to make slideshow if we weren't using internet connection
- Photos, facts, info about NDAA for NDAA slideshow
- Hotspot to give WiFi to laptop to show videos
- Backpack to carry laptop and projector while en route
- Headlamps to wear while riding bikes
- Android to livestream the experience
We don't have very loud speakers yet, so we made a slideshow about the NDAA and a playlist of Free Anons videos that had a lot of text on them, so important information would be accessible visually.
We also had to come up with a name for our Guerrilla Projection project, and Other Possibilities Network helped us brainstorm.
J (@ots_nola) came up with TriLumination!
- Tri - because the projector is on a tricycle!
- Lumination - because we want to light up the nation with information mainstream media isn't
- Squad - because we're a very small unit of OTS members focusing on Guerrilla Projecting!
Maiden Voyage March 19
A live band was playing on the street corner on Frenchmen, so we decided to set the projector up on a side street where we could project on a garage door. Music from the live band played as we first showed the NDAA slide show and answered questions as people walked by and stopped to ask what we were doing.
We were able to project a video "Soul Side In - Invincible FreeAnons/FreeHammond" onto the wall before we ran out of battery!
We're really looking forward to showing more Free Anons videos and slide shows, as well as videos and images related to activist causes, Indy media, the Occupy Movement, the NDAA, NOKXL, Walmart Strikers, and issues the mainstream media ignores! We'll be sharing #OpPenPal info when we show videos of political prisoners, so we hope this will raise awareness about the political persecution and help with Mail to The Jail!
On a personal note, I seriously want to live in a city where less people ask me "Who is Jeremy Hammond?" A lot of people just aren't getting the information, so we are trying to change that.
If you have any videos or images that you'd like to share with us so we can project them, please CONTACT US or holler at @small_affair on Twitter. Videos that include text or captions in the actual video are ideal right now because we don't have a loud speaker system yet, and it's New Orleans, so there might be a band playing in the street at any time!
Thanks to everyone who offered technical tips and watched our first night of Guerrilla Projecting!